Gesell Developmental Observation-Revised Administration and Results Workshops
Workshops with The Gesell Institute of Child Development prepare early childhood professionals to understand and better meet the unique needs and abilities of young children through a comprehensive training in:
- the ages and stages of child development, and
- how to administer and interpret the results of the Gesell Developmental Observation-Revised (GDO-R)
The GDO-R uses direct observation to evaluate a child’s cognitive, language, motor and social-emotional responses in five strands: Developmental, Letter/Numbers, Language/Comprehension, Visual/Spatial, and Social/Emotional/Adaptive.
A child’s performance on each strand corresponds to a Performance Level Rating (Age Appropriate, Emerging or Concern) and a Developmental Age. Developmental Age, determined by the calculating the results of the GDO-R, is an age in years and half-years that best describes a child’s behavior and performance on a developmental scale; may be equal to, older or younger, than the child’s actual chronological age. It encompasses a child’s social, emotional, cognitive/intellectual and physical make up.
The GDO-R has been validated and improved with the use of strand scoring and performance levels, which group results into strands (above) and allow for specific evaluation in growth areas. These in-depth workshops are offered at sites across the nation for new and experienced users alike.
GDO-R Workshop Options Available:
$549 per person
In this 3-day live workshop, participants learn to administer the Gesell Developmental Observation-Revised (GDO-R) to the 2 ½ to 6 year old child and interpret results as they relate to neuro-motor, language, cognitive, social, emotional and adaptive responses.
The workshop will utilize two content areas to assist teachers in determining the unique needs and abilities of young children:
- a comprehensive presentation on the foundations, or ages and stages, of child development for ages 2 ½ to 6 years
- training on how to administer the assessment and interpret the results of the GDO-R
The Gesell Developmental Observation-revised (GDO-R) is a comprehensive, observational assessment that can assist parents, educators, and other professionals in understanding characteristics of child behavior in relation to typical growth patterns. Gesell assessments have been used as standard measures for child growth and development for over 85 years! The GDO-R assists educators and other trained professionals in the observation of the child’s development most associated with learning and educational growth.
Click here to learn more about Gesell Developmental Assessment Tools
- Day one includes a comprehensive overview of developmental age and its implications for learning, an in-depth look at developmental behaviors of the 2-½ to 6-year-old child, and a demonstration of the administration of the GDO-R.
- Day two includes additional hands-on practice through role-play, training on tasks/strands, and a second demonstration of the administration of the GDO-R.
- Day three focuses on scoring and interpretation of developmental age, strand scoring and performance level ratings and a third live demonstration of the GDO-R with a child.
$99 per person
Attend the first day only of the 3-day GDO-R for 2 ½-6 Year Old workshop to learn or revisit the foundations of child development, and go deep into the Gesell approach to understanding children and meeting them where they are.
Learn or revisit the foundations of child development, and go deep into the Gesell approach to understanding children and meeting them where they are. Great for school and program leaders!
The fee for this course is $249.
In this 6 hour online webinar training, participants learn to administer the Gesell Developmental Observation (GDO-R) to the 6- to 9-year-old child and interpret results as they relate to fine motor, language, cognitive, visual discrimination, right and left orientation, and indicators of possible learning exceptions.
Prerequisites: The 3-Day GDO-R 2 ½ to 6-Year-Old Workshop is required for enrollment in this workshop.
$449 to re-certify at workshop, and $249 to re-certify through webinar.
Individuals previously completing a GDO-R workshop are recommended to participate in a re-certification course within 5 years of their last full training, in order to enhance their observation and interpretation skills and expand their understanding of child growth and development with our constantly updated and revised materials.
- < 10 participants: $5,000 plus travel fees
- 10-15 participants: $7,000 plus travel fees
- 15-20 participants: $9,000 plus travel fees
Hospitals and medical teaching institutions can schedule a specially designed modified 1-Day GDO-R workshop for their staff. Pediatricians will learn the practical skills needed to administer the GDO-R assessment and utilize this information as a screener and for referrals or as a baseline to monitor developmental progress.
Workshops fees include the one day training at your site and a manual.To schedule a GDO-R training for your group, please contact Erin Akers, Director of Education and Development